Skip to main content

Saturday Afternoon Routine.

I just got back from the Saturday tuition sessions. It has been almost 5 months since I started.I have two classes of primary school children, P4 and P3, taking Maths and Science, and English, respectively. It has become a Saturday routine. A energy-draining activity.

It is somehow different from giving volunteering tuition. When you are paid, the responsibility seems greater. And if you ain't doing a good job, someone else is readily available to take up yours. The fact that I really need that money, I have to put in more effort.

Some students have left, and some have joined. I'm not sure whether they left cuz they think I ain't good 'nuff for them. But there are some who seem really happy and appreciative to have me around.

On my first lesson, I set the ground rules for my classes. I told them my expectations on their behavior. On boy, how naive I was. They are only nine or ten, they don't understand the significance of those rules. After a couple of lessons with those kids jumping around and making helluva noice, I realised that discpline is necessary in order to have any proper lessons. My job is not only about teaching.

I began to think of ways to get their attention. How about rewards? Arrr, I bought two bags of sweets and lolipops. Only those well-behaved children will get them. But, ha ha, guess what? Those kids asked me whether they can exchange for another flavour of sweets, this, and that. Two weeks later, rewards no longer work for them.

Then discipline too the form of punishments. Those who misbehave three times will get their names into my lil' black book. First time, fingers on their lips, second time, stand at their desk, third time, a smack on their palm with the ruler. But, ha ha, guess what? Those kids continued to talk with their fingers on their lips. They also smiled and said that the smackings were not painful enough.

Finally, two weeks ago, I decided to go back to the old-school kinda punishments - writing lines. Complain composition too many words (add 50 words), don't know where to get foolscap paper (add 50 words). Misbehave in class, write 100 lines of "I will behave myself in class". But, ha ha, guess what? It doesn't really work...

So today, I made them sit with their best friends, who they like to. For punishment, those who misbehave, their best friend will need to write 100 lines. Every person caught misbehaving will mean that the number of lines to write for each person will double.

Hopefully they'll understand that their actions will affect their friends as well and learn to be more responsible!

Comments

Sunshine said…
haha...so funny leh...u tried so much to get them to settle down but none of the methods seem to work...

seriously....i dun think they'll understand the rules and significance behind the rules...ahaha...they're simply too young! but anyway...good luck to you...hope this method will work...ahahaha

this is partly the reason why i gave up tuition just before entering university...coz i realised i can't even handle a young boy aged 8 years old...i'm lousy with disciplinary stuff...i was actually BULLIED by him! can u imagine? hahaha
juneberry said…
to siwen: i can imagine

to egeus: kids nowadays....

but that's a good methd... but normally i'll just work with the parents.. cos they have the real authority...
Anonymous said…
i used to teach 2 sec sch kids, they taught me that a g-string is for girls and not boys. boys wear b-string.

they like to disturb passer-bys walking downstairs. and one hour, the kid only do 5 maths questions. funny kids. last time i saw him, he's taller than me already.
egeus said…
sw: you can't be soft to them. must be fierce. tell them who's the boss. my kids are also a mixture of nice ones, and attention seeking ones. but u only need one attention seeking kid to turn the class upside down! but got a few super adorable one lo!!!

in foc nobody dares to be fierce to them, the kids always creating havoc. hahah. but of cuz, the programme wasnt really about tutoring them la. =p

rp: i had two parents questioning me since i started. when they scolded their kids in front of me, the were actually saying it was my fault that their kids don't listen in class and don't do their hw. her son left my class liao. hahaha.

sx: i think that time u were quite a cheap bargain for them right? buy 1 get 1 free ar? hahaha. I had a worse one, 12 intensive lessons in a month at chinatown. the sec 2 boy played his gameboy when i taught him. in 2 hrs i gotta teach maths, chinese, english, science and literature. in the end, his mum sent me packing, i was so glad!
Sunshine said…
ahaha...sorry lor...work with parents also no use...i tried before already...the boy not even scared of his mum...he's only scared of his dad...so usually i'll be praying that his dad is at home...hahaha

its not that i dun wanna be fierce to him...but there's a certain extent to it...too much their parents will complain...and usually after the scolding they'll settle foe a min or 2 and then everything is back to terror again...hahaha
juneberry said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
juneberry said…
point: dad is not part of "parents"?

but anyway... at my centre.. working closely with the parents do help..

yours dun work doesn't the methd won't work
egeus said…
yah lah. of coz. some things work there, some things work here, but definitely not everywhere, thats why must keep trying lo. must be creative. like what the government say. must improvise.

kids these days ar, not like us last time, so guai. most kids these days very the pampered one loh. u just need a couple of these kinda kids, headache liao.

parents also got nice and understanding ones, and sacarstic and nasty ones...

rp: u teach at tuition centre too? which centre? good $$???
Sunshine said…
hahah....she're refering to her HI tuition....=p
juneberry said…
hahaha.. i am a kind girl
egeus said…
erm.... oh. that. i'm talkin about tuition w $$$ hehe. $$$$ very impt lah. sigh sigh. if i'm not troubled bout $, i wld be troubled by other things like having too many suitors right? hahaha
juneberry said…
haiz... zhen1 shi4 kun4 rao3..

wahahhahaa

anyway.. you should be talking abt suitress

Popular posts from this blog

The Bridal Dowry.

The delivery of dowry ( 送嫁妆 ) is another important custom. It represents parent's effort for her daughter to have a good life after marriage and prepare her with the necessities for being a good wife. I am amazed by some of the things included in the dowry. Of course, in our modern living, we will not be using some of those things... Nevertheless, I think it is all good to have them, as each item carries a good meaning for our blissful marriage. :-)

I Will Be Back With More Time.

It is more than two years since I last blogged! Not that nothing interesting happened. In fact, plenty happened! Shifted house, shifted office, boys grew, had Hand Foot Mouth Disease (ouch!)! Just to name a few. There were gains and losses. Life's ups and downs. Of me, and those around me. I haven't been doing much deep thinking and thus less writing. Not enough time? That is probably an excuse. But it is true that I have not slept well for quite awhile. It is hard to explain the stress from work, where nothing goes smooth, and every step forward is a hurdle. Technology also had made it simple and addictive for us to mindlessly share. Share our thoughts in bits and pieces. Forming persona of ourselves to acquaintances and friends I hardly meet anymore. I remember experimenting with Tumbler, finding ways to post once, publish everywhere. It didn't quite work out. Even when technology made it is so easy, I have not been diligently editing and uploading photos of my darlin

The Last 24 Hours, Twenty-Thirteen.

If you were wondering... Yes I did it for the fifth time on the eve of New Year. Just two of us, made the journey from Marina Bay Financial Centre to Kampung Glam, via the newest Downtown line. You can see my photos here . Still looking for people to join us end of this year. :)