Skip to main content

Recycling Bin.

I was inspired by my friend (the one who constantly remind me to shut down my machines after office hours) to do my part for the environment, and start recycling. She told me that on NEA website there is a Recycle Map which lists out the recycle bins such as this (picture from NEA website) around the island.


So all I have to do was to find out which is nearest to my house, start dividing my waste into paper, drink cans, plastic bottles, and glass bottles, then dispose them accordingly. Although it is an extra step, I think it should be worthwhile.

A quick run through the list, I realised there is only one recycle bin in the whole of my neighbourhood! Other neighbourhoods have plenty. Perhaps this may be a reason which deters people from recycling. Tho' they are making some effort to encourage people to recycle, they ain't facilitating it all the way. This inconvenience is actually deterring people from bring their waste to recycle.

While I was in Goteborg recently, not only that recycle bins can be found conveniently in the streets, in some apartments, they bring the bins to you! In fact, it is the same chute which you will normally throw your rubbish. There is a common chute such as this outside my girlfriend's apartment.


However, before you dump your rubbish into the chute, you are require to select if the rubbish is "Waste", "Compost", or "Newspapers".


After that, you can just open the cover and dump your rubbish in.


If you have not realised, with the simple act of selection, you can actually choose to recycle the rubbish. There is no hassle of bring sorted rubbish to recycle bins which may be far away from your home.

My feel is, if we are serious about caring for the environment, and recycling, the authorities will need to do more than just providing a few bins and getting some contractors to clear the recycle waste. They may want to consider having chutes like this to bring recycling to the residents. Taking rubbish to the chute is an act which residents will definitely do, by providing such a facility, they can continue to do what they do naturally and recycle at the same time.

Forget those excuses about the cost of building such chutes, the cost of getting people to further sort, the cost of recycling, the possibilities that people may select the wrong option. Think about the cost of our environment.

I remember in an episode of BBC's Planet Earth, where they described the difficulties in getting the locals to stop acts of poaching. One of the conservationist said, "It is so difficult to persuade people who are having problem finding their next meals to stop poaching and save their environment." What we are dealing here, isn't a problem as big. Most Singapore residents are not struggling to find their next meals. Yet, along that line of argument, we should not let some economic considerations, prevent us from furthering our cause of saving the Earth to every resident.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bridal Dowry.

The delivery of dowry ( 送嫁妆 ) is another important custom. It represents parent's effort for her daughter to have a good life after marriage and prepare her with the necessities for being a good wife. I am amazed by some of the things included in the dowry. Of course, in our modern living, we will not be using some of those things... Nevertheless, I think it is all good to have them, as each item carries a good meaning for our blissful marriage. :-)

I Will Be Back With More Time.

It is more than two years since I last blogged! Not that nothing interesting happened. In fact, plenty happened! Shifted house, shifted office, boys grew, had Hand Foot Mouth Disease (ouch!)! Just to name a few. There were gains and losses. Life's ups and downs. Of me, and those around me. I haven't been doing much deep thinking and thus less writing. Not enough time? That is probably an excuse. But it is true that I have not slept well for quite awhile. It is hard to explain the stress from work, where nothing goes smooth, and every step forward is a hurdle. Technology also had made it simple and addictive for us to mindlessly share. Share our thoughts in bits and pieces. Forming persona of ourselves to acquaintances and friends I hardly meet anymore. I remember experimenting with Tumbler, finding ways to post once, publish everywhere. It didn't quite work out. Even when technology made it is so easy, I have not been diligently editing and uploading photos of my darlin

The Last 24 Hours, Twenty-Thirteen.

If you were wondering... Yes I did it for the fifth time on the eve of New Year. Just two of us, made the journey from Marina Bay Financial Centre to Kampung Glam, via the newest Downtown line. You can see my photos here . Still looking for people to join us end of this year. :)