Skip to main content

To Upgrade or Not To Upgrade?

Last night, some guys from the resident committee and the town council informed us that depending on the outcome of the voting, a new lift will be built at the corridor just outside our flat. It is part of the lift upgrading for our area. As our flat is along the lift landing level, it was just for info and we will not be voting. We were informed about the lift upgrading earlier by letter, and I did not expect that they were actually planning to build a new lift!

Our block is relatively small compared to the other blocks in the area, with a total number of households of 50. The new lift will stop at every level, which means that other than the serving even levels as the existing lift, it will also serve the two corner units at the odd levels, and 8 units at level two. The existing lift is at the other end of the block now, where there are no units at odd levels, therefore to serve the odd levels units, the new lift has to be built at our end of the block.

I am not very supportive of the idea. According to the RC members, the rationale of building the lift is that they may be old folks who are wheelchair bounded, not staying in levels with lift-landing, so having lift will be more convenient for them. But they failed to recognise the fact that, unlike the other blocks in the area, our block is relatively small and less than twenty years old, the residents are also mostly young families.

I am not sure about the exact among every family will have to pay, but I think it is around 10% or $1K+ for Singapore family and about $10k for PR family. Since there are only 18 units are eligible to vote, that means only 18 families will pay, which also mean that our block will need to be heavily subsidised as well?

I think my block is eligible for new lift as our area on the whole is undergoing such lift upgrading, so since the rest are doing, our block will be given a chance to do so too. But do we really need lift upgrading? The good thing is that there will be a poll, so the upgrading is not compulsory. If we need 75% to vote for, then we will need just 4 units to vote against, and there will be no lift upgrading. I am quite confident that will be the result. It is not difficult to realise that it is not worthed paying $1k for the lift when you are living on the 2nd storey.

Maybe the authorities should rethink the idea of having lift upgrading for every block in the area and come up with other ways to upgrading which will better benefit the residents. In fact I think it is not necessary to have upgrading for the block itself, improving the surroundings, like building a linkway to the bus-stop which I mentioned in my earlier post, will be useful to us as well! Of course there are many other ways to improve our lives and I think our MP and grassroot leaders have a crucial role to play in identifying them. For me, I am rather satisfied and thankful, and not asking too much. Why don't we use this money to help those more needy people?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bridal Dowry.

The delivery of dowry ( 送嫁妆 ) is another important custom. It represents parent's effort for her daughter to have a good life after marriage and prepare her with the necessities for being a good wife. I am amazed by some of the things included in the dowry. Of course, in our modern living, we will not be using some of those things... Nevertheless, I think it is all good to have them, as each item carries a good meaning for our blissful marriage. :-)

I Will Be Back With More Time.

It is more than two years since I last blogged! Not that nothing interesting happened. In fact, plenty happened! Shifted house, shifted office, boys grew, had Hand Foot Mouth Disease (ouch!)! Just to name a few. There were gains and losses. Life's ups and downs. Of me, and those around me. I haven't been doing much deep thinking and thus less writing. Not enough time? That is probably an excuse. But it is true that I have not slept well for quite awhile. It is hard to explain the stress from work, where nothing goes smooth, and every step forward is a hurdle. Technology also had made it simple and addictive for us to mindlessly share. Share our thoughts in bits and pieces. Forming persona of ourselves to acquaintances and friends I hardly meet anymore. I remember experimenting with Tumbler, finding ways to post once, publish everywhere. It didn't quite work out. Even when technology made it is so easy, I have not been diligently editing and uploading photos of my darlin

The Last 24 Hours, Twenty-Thirteen.

If you were wondering... Yes I did it for the fifth time on the eve of New Year. Just two of us, made the journey from Marina Bay Financial Centre to Kampung Glam, via the newest Downtown line. You can see my photos here . Still looking for people to join us end of this year. :)