Skip to main content

My Short Testimonial for SCE.

I was very honoured to be invited to write a line or two last week, to be featured during the Tea Reception for SCE applicants and on the Alumni Website. The main aim was to inspire and guide the freshmen on education at NTU SCE, and to recount my memorable experience in SCE. A difficult task at first, it turned out that a couple of lines were not enough for me. Below is a preview to my lil' contribution. Hopefully it'll be useful to potential NTU SCE freshmen who will not be able to make it for the Tea Reception. =)

During my Convocation last July, the guest speaker, Mr Chan Yeng Kit, CEO of IDA Singapore, reminded us of our decision to place the bets of our future in the IT industry shortly after the bust of the dot-com bubble. He portrayed us as brave souls, passionate about IT. And he painted the future of us as future professionals in the dynamic and exciting industry, where we can make a difference across the society. He also presented past statistics that half of the IT-graduates will take up non-IT professions. I guess I have chosen the path of the other half - following my heart where I think the money will be and equipped with what NTU SCE had offered me.

Having "endured" through the four-year course, rumored to be the toughest in NTU, gave me a great sense of accomplishment, although it was just the beginning. The balanced course structure gave us a chance to enter either the hardware or software domain, and ample time to get exposed to both domains before deciding where our interest lied.

The SCE course emphasized on hands-on. I have fond memories of those days when we went around carrying our 'black box’ and doing wire-wrapping for our microprocessor lab at the benches. The software modules were structured in a way to let us pick up different programming languages and implement the software engineering concepts.

The SCE course was not only able training in technical skills, but also in Communication skills. It was not only about writing resumes and letters, but also about presenting ourselves and cultivating the entrepreneurship in us. There were plenty of opportunities to do presentations, which is a core-skill in the working world.

Despite the recent hoo-ha over the quality of NTU lecturers, it was never a problem to us. Foreign accents are something we must learn to get used to, especially when we live in a cosmopolitan world. Furthermore, the SCE lecturers were always approachable. Just to name a few: Dr. Yow Kin Choong, who would conduct extra tutorial lessons for us and answered all our queries. Dr. Man Zhihong and Dr. Srikanthan, whose lectures I enjoyed most as they were clear, concise, and straight to the point. AP Nicholas Vun, who would go the extra mile to sit down with his students to debug their final year projects, and imparted technical skills which we would not have been able to learn from books.

On a side note, at SCE I also found my love and a group of wonderful friends. We supported each other throughout the course. Despite the hectic school life, we had the time to contribute to the society by being volunteers in the Welfare Services Club and made the most out of our SCE experience.

Finally, what sets a SCE graduate apart from the rest is the problem-solving skills, independent continuous learning skills, and the motivation to excel, or commonly known as the "BIA" attitude.

Comments

egeus said…
thats so flattering. hee hee. No la, its not as good as you said.

btw to those who don't know, "BIA" doesn't stands for anything. it is hokkien for "doing the best".

Popular posts from this blog

The Bridal Dowry.

The delivery of dowry ( 送嫁妆 ) is another important custom. It represents parent's effort for her daughter to have a good life after marriage and prepare her with the necessities for being a good wife. I am amazed by some of the things included in the dowry. Of course, in our modern living, we will not be using some of those things... Nevertheless, I think it is all good to have them, as each item carries a good meaning for our blissful marriage. :-)

I Will Be Back With More Time.

It is more than two years since I last blogged! Not that nothing interesting happened. In fact, plenty happened! Shifted house, shifted office, boys grew, had Hand Foot Mouth Disease (ouch!)! Just to name a few. There were gains and losses. Life's ups and downs. Of me, and those around me. I haven't been doing much deep thinking and thus less writing. Not enough time? That is probably an excuse. But it is true that I have not slept well for quite awhile. It is hard to explain the stress from work, where nothing goes smooth, and every step forward is a hurdle. Technology also had made it simple and addictive for us to mindlessly share. Share our thoughts in bits and pieces. Forming persona of ourselves to acquaintances and friends I hardly meet anymore. I remember experimenting with Tumbler, finding ways to post once, publish everywhere. It didn't quite work out. Even when technology made it is so easy, I have not been diligently editing and uploading photos of my darlin

The Last 24 Hours, Twenty-Thirteen.

If you were wondering... Yes I did it for the fifth time on the eve of New Year. Just two of us, made the journey from Marina Bay Financial Centre to Kampung Glam, via the newest Downtown line. You can see my photos here . Still looking for people to join us end of this year. :)