Skip to main content

Flag Days in Singapore.

I seem to be in the mood to write. This is my third entry for the day. =)

It is a common sight to see students selling flags on Saturdays. Almost every Saturday of is a Flag Day. Although it feels like every Saturday. If you understand the rationale of Flag Days, you'll agree that it is a very good idea.

I think that other than raising funds for the VWOs (Voluntary Welfare Organisation), it is also to spread the awareness of these organisations and their causes, and to involve students in some community work. I am sure almost everyone of this young generation has participated in at least one Flag Day during their secondary school days.

Regardless of much is raised, Flag Days help VWOs in some way. Other than funds from the government, most VWOs have to raise their own funds to run their facilities and programmes. It is no easy task to canvas for funds. Contrary to what many think, there are actually many VWOs out there which need our help, besides NKF, Cancer Foundation, etc, which canvas on tv. And Flag Days is a very straight forward and low cost way to do so.

However, I feel that what is really lacking is the part on spreading of awareness and students' understanding of doing community work. Often when I am approached by students to donate, I will ask them what organisation is the donation for or what the organisation does, and what will the money be used for. I am not trying to be critical on these students, but you'll be surprised that most of them do not even know about the organisation they are canvasing for.

This afternoon, I was approached by a student to donate. It was an organisation which I had not heard of, but I donated anyway. He was unable to tell me what the organisation is about, neither could he tell me where it was located.

I feel that it is important that students know the purpose of them selling flag. It is not just to get people to donate, but to help raise funds for VWOs to run free or subsidised programmes that help unfortunate people. It is important for them to know about the organisation and what the money is for, so that they will understand how meaningful their contribution is by selling flag. They will also be able to spread the awareness of these VWOs to the public. By getting more attention of the public, more help can be given to these less well-known VWOs. The public will also feel more assured of where their money will go to, and what it will be used for. Perhaps they'll donate more when they are aware. Besides, VWOs need more than money, they need volunteers too. WIth more awareness, more people may step forward to become volunteers at these VWOs. It is also a way to introduce students to the world of volunteering, to let them know that the world is more than just school and having fun.

So at the end of the day, I feel that it is more than just asking passerbys to donate some coins. And so much more for everyone to play their part! Next time when you ask for donations, or asked to donate, why not give more thoughts to what you are really doing?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bridal Dowry.

The delivery of dowry ( 送嫁妆 ) is another important custom. It represents parent's effort for her daughter to have a good life after marriage and prepare her with the necessities for being a good wife. I am amazed by some of the things included in the dowry. Of course, in our modern living, we will not be using some of those things... Nevertheless, I think it is all good to have them, as each item carries a good meaning for our blissful marriage. :-)

I Will Be Back With More Time.

It is more than two years since I last blogged! Not that nothing interesting happened. In fact, plenty happened! Shifted house, shifted office, boys grew, had Hand Foot Mouth Disease (ouch!)! Just to name a few. There were gains and losses. Life's ups and downs. Of me, and those around me. I haven't been doing much deep thinking and thus less writing. Not enough time? That is probably an excuse. But it is true that I have not slept well for quite awhile. It is hard to explain the stress from work, where nothing goes smooth, and every step forward is a hurdle. Technology also had made it simple and addictive for us to mindlessly share. Share our thoughts in bits and pieces. Forming persona of ourselves to acquaintances and friends I hardly meet anymore. I remember experimenting with Tumbler, finding ways to post once, publish everywhere. It didn't quite work out. Even when technology made it is so easy, I have not been diligently editing and uploading photos of my darlin

The Last 24 Hours, Twenty-Thirteen.

If you were wondering... Yes I did it for the fifth time on the eve of New Year. Just two of us, made the journey from Marina Bay Financial Centre to Kampung Glam, via the newest Downtown line. You can see my photos here . Still looking for people to join us end of this year. :)