Skip to main content

Colourful Commuters.

Inspired by my morning encounters on the train, I've decided to become a week-day blogger again. Unfortunately, things take a down turn the past few days and when I have time to start to blog, there is just thirty minutes of week-day left. Oh well, before I blog about the encounters, let me note down about the "terrible Friday". I was awaken by the buzz of my handphone this morning, but I was thankful that it woke me up cuz the sun was shining brightly into my room. It was already 7.25am (normally I would be standing at the MRT platform or in the train by then). I had forgotten to set my phone alarm the night before. So I was late for work the second time since my official first day of work. But hardly anyone noticed that, except for the few colleagues who I sms-ed about me coming late. And the day went yadayadayada ... I ended up with a big problem and left office at 7.30pm on a Friday night.

Okay back to the topic of morning encouters of colourful commuters. Apart from the pseudo-pregnant-ladies, and seats-choppers (me, the only-for-one-station type), and of course not forgetting the swayers, I have decided to list out a few more:

The Yawners - They release their deadly gases at point blank distance from your face. I suspect their hands are stuck to their pockets by superglue or raising their hands to their face left is just too tiring for them. It is very difficult to avoid them as they strike when you least expected - once they open their mouth, its too late.

The Backpackers - They are characterized by the huge haversack they carry, which they like to shove against your body. Perhaps they just want to make some contact with people around them, but they are too shy, so they choose this indirect way of doing so. Usually backpackers have partners, who will cling onto them very tightly, like their second piece of luggage.

The Blackholers- I think the black holes or vacuums exist on trains, but its only in the 4th dimension. And only the Blackholers have access to it. These commuters are the first to fill up any empty space, eg. an empty seat, the space in front of the door, the space behind the yellow line at the platform, etc. Transferring from one train to the other is a breeze for them.

The Sentries - These commuters are heaven-sent soccer players - they form the perfect wall during a freekick. They form these nice arcs at each entrance of the train on the platform. I wonder why they form an arc, leaving a lil' space for alighting passengers. There are also variations where they stand nicely in neat rows, like soldiers when they fall-in. These commuters wait patiently at the platform and continue to stand at the platform till the perfect train arrives. From far, its a grand sight, faithful commuters guarding the the entrances of trains - hence the name Sentries.

Comments

Sunshine said…
i like this entry....and the names given to the various grp of ppl...interesting!
KingMeng said…
No mention of the "Sleepers", who use your shoulders as their bed? LOL
egeus said…
thanks. hahaha.

the sleepers are also known as the swayers lo. heh heh. or u mean there are really some who just sleep comfortably on your shoulders?!
KingMeng said…
No, my shoulders ain't that great to sleep on. Too bony. :P

Popular posts from this blog

The Bridal Dowry.

The delivery of dowry ( 送嫁妆 ) is another important custom. It represents parent's effort for her daughter to have a good life after marriage and prepare her with the necessities for being a good wife. I am amazed by some of the things included in the dowry. Of course, in our modern living, we will not be using some of those things... Nevertheless, I think it is all good to have them, as each item carries a good meaning for our blissful marriage. :-)

I Will Be Back With More Time.

It is more than two years since I last blogged! Not that nothing interesting happened. In fact, plenty happened! Shifted house, shifted office, boys grew, had Hand Foot Mouth Disease (ouch!)! Just to name a few. There were gains and losses. Life's ups and downs. Of me, and those around me. I haven't been doing much deep thinking and thus less writing. Not enough time? That is probably an excuse. But it is true that I have not slept well for quite awhile. It is hard to explain the stress from work, where nothing goes smooth, and every step forward is a hurdle. Technology also had made it simple and addictive for us to mindlessly share. Share our thoughts in bits and pieces. Forming persona of ourselves to acquaintances and friends I hardly meet anymore. I remember experimenting with Tumbler, finding ways to post once, publish everywhere. It didn't quite work out. Even when technology made it is so easy, I have not been diligently editing and uploading photos of my darlin

The Last 24 Hours, Twenty-Thirteen.

If you were wondering... Yes I did it for the fifth time on the eve of New Year. Just two of us, made the journey from Marina Bay Financial Centre to Kampung Glam, via the newest Downtown line. You can see my photos here . Still looking for people to join us end of this year. :)