Skip to main content

Angmo NTU.

There was an article on Tomorrow about the History of Nantah and NTU. And since we were at this topic in the recent post (about the school dropping the word "technological"), I decided to give my five cents worth as well. So bear with me...

Firstly, I question the use of the phrase "angmo NTU". What is the definition of an "angmo" school? If "angmo school" means education in English medium, I think there is nothing wrong "angmo" about NTU as that's where the "angmo" link ends (okay, unless you are talking bout the exchange students, well, I apologise to our foreign friends if you feel offended, the word "angmo" only describes your hair colour, no racial discrimination =P). English-ed is one of the reasons why we're able to attract talents from various parts of Asia, and even Europe to study here. Education evolves with time, and we have adopted what is advantagous for us. The mix of students from various countries is also beneficial to local students who do not get the chance to study overseas to have a feel of the international flavour. It does not mean that we abandon our cultures and language. For those who are not aware, in NTU are there are alot of Chinese cultural activities organised by the students community. Chinese cultural activities doesn't limit traditional dance or poetry, it also evolve with time. In fact, it is so vibrant that NTU is one of the cradle of self-composed Chinese music in Singapore. Of cuz I can go on and on in giving more examples... but thats not the point. =P

I guess it must have been mentioned many times (even the uncles at the old folks home used to remind us when we visit them), how the Chinese in Singapore came from all walks of life (eg. the trishaw cyclists and taxi drivers) , to raise funds for the school. Besides the
late Tan Lark Sye who donated the land, it was these people who really sweat it out to build the first Chinese University in Singapore. Their spirit, which what NanTah Spirit is about, is definitely worth learning. Those eight words which signifies the NanTah Spirit still stand at the Yunnan Garden today. 力求上进, 志强不息 Ain't we fortunate we are given the opportunity to inherit this rich history? The fact that my alma mater sits on the ground of the historical school in Singapore already makes me really proud.

Before we go on with any more debate about the links that NTU has with Nantah (and the so call "pack of lies" - quoting from jon.sherwin), let us focus on the value of this heritage and what it means to the staffs and students. In my four years in NTU, I have never stepped into the Chinese Heritage Centre (the only remaining building of the NanTah campus). But coming Monday, I'll definitely not miss out on taking pictures in my gown outside the centre, and at Yunnan Garden. But is the heritage just that us? How much do we value it?

One needs lil' thinking to know that transforming the NanTah Spirit into the NTU Spirit is beneficial for the school. That should be main objective of the school administration in this issue. The controversies of the renaming, and the unpleasant parts history, are not important. Yes, we should remember history, learning from it. But we should not hold grudges. It'll be great if the graduates of NanTah see themselves as the pioneers of NTU, to play a part and to lend their support to the school in transforming this spirit. However, if they choose not to, it does not make them any less of.

I think the NanTah Spirit applies to all students regardless of their races or nationality. Thomas Edision once said, "
Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration.” Determination and hardwork. From my lil' understanding, the NanTah Spirit is more than that. It is also about contributing to the society, helping our fellow man (and woman of cuz =p). And I would like to learn more.

How do you revive the neo-NanTah Spirit aka the NTU Spirit? Organising the heritage tours were good starts. Understanding the past helps appreciate it a lil' better. However, I think it should be more than that. The spirit should take form in the environment and constantly influencing the students. There can be more highlights on the students around the school, such as gigantic posters of individuals, who takes time to contribute to the society. More activities around the Yunnan Lake? Bazaars every fortnight around the lake. Fishing and kayaking in the lake? I can't think of many ideas, but these are a few things which I'll wish to see if I were still an undergrad.

The bottomline, let's not dwell on issues like the renaming and the "
shameless fabrication and distortion of history" (quoting from jon.sherwin again). Focus on how to treasure the heritage and transform the NanTah Spirit to the NTU Spirit will be positive. Period.

Comments

KingMeng said…
And guess what...you've been tomorrow-ed too. ;)
egeus said…
thanks for the trackback. =)
Merv said…
Tell me,what's the point of going to the Heritage Centre to take pictures when you never stepped in it for 4 years?

Whats the point?

I thought people take graduation photos at places that are memorable to them?

That aside, you said "let's not dwell on issues like the renaming and the "shameless fabrication and distortion of history"

let me put to you this. If 20yrs down the road, the government pulls down the NTU that we know now,for the same odious reason as in the past.

And rebuilts a new university on the
same location, after a lull of 10 yerars. And claims it still retains
the same 'NTU sprit", after the lull.

What would you feel? As a ex-NTU student? Do you think the sprit is for real?
egeus said…
well, to ans your first qns, i'm gonna take pictures outside the heritage centre. tho' i never been inside, doesn't mean it is not memorable to me. i can't rem the countless times when i walked past it after school, to school, jogged past it at night, noticed it went thru the renovations, the colourful fountain that glows at night, etc, its an icon of NTU. how can that not be memorable? i'm not sure bout others, but it is to me. =)

and your 2nd qns, my point is, transforming the NanTah Spirit into the NTU Spirit. If for some reason what you say do come true, its really up to the new school to judge whether they want to inherit that kinda spirit. Nevertheless, I will be upset to see my alma mater closing down. But I don't think I'll have any negative feelings for the new school. In fact it'll great to know that the future generation still treasures that kind of spirit, which started during the days of NanTah.

I think it really depends on from what angle you look at things - I've chosen to look at it positively.
egeus said…
南大网侍郎 Nantah_webmaster: Thanks for your comments. When I took on this issue, what I wanted to do is really to give a viewpoint from a present NTU alumnus, or rather my views. And as I said earlier on, its really from positive side, which hopefully will benefit the school. By no means, its complete or represent the views of the school or students. So I hope I did not stir up any unhappiness by comment on Jon Shetrwin's article.

But let me reply to some of your comments...

"You may think that it is all right to fabricate and distort the history of Nantah to suit certain political agenda", thats not true. To not focus on it, does not mean its okay to change history.

You mentioned about Japan's attempt to whitewash history. I am totally against that. But we can still move on while keeping truth to history. The atrocities of those in WWII do not represent the stand of most present Japanese. I think this might actually draw some comparison but I'm not very comfortable of this analogy considering the difference in gravity of the two issues.

There maybe some "fabrication of facts" (pardon me for finding out more bout them), I do not support it, and I just want to say "let's focus on other more important issues"...

"Mind you, such sentiment has always been strong among Nantah alumni after the closing of Nantah but somehow suppressed." I think it'll be difficult for me to fully understand your feelings about this issue. I'm not in your shoes. But I'll try!

What I don't quite understand is, isn't it good to bring attention to the good things of NanTah? I am sure some of the NanTah alumni share this feeling too. As you said, you are in your twilight years, and we, who are still young, learning to appreciate the good things, it should be commendable.

"Please don't let NTU or anyone else disturb her tomb." Perhaps letting this issue rest will do that. I think that is my sentiment too after reading Jon Shetrwin's article. "Why bring it up again?" I hope by commenting on it I am not making the situation worse. My heart is feeling abit heavy right now... =P
egeus said…
Oh, btw, yes I do read Chinese and converse with my friends largely in Chinese as well. In fact, its like the typical Singaporeans, more of "Singlish", ie. the mix of English and Mandarin which we feel very comfortable and familiar with. But when it matters, we do speak proper Mandarin and English.

Inside and outside, I never feel angmo. NTU also does not gimme the Angmo feeling at all. Of cuz this is a whole seperate issue to discuss. hah.

Popular posts from this blog

The Bridal Dowry.

The delivery of dowry ( 送嫁妆 ) is another important custom. It represents parent's effort for her daughter to have a good life after marriage and prepare her with the necessities for being a good wife. I am amazed by some of the things included in the dowry. Of course, in our modern living, we will not be using some of those things... Nevertheless, I think it is all good to have them, as each item carries a good meaning for our blissful marriage. :-)

I Will Be Back With More Time.

It is more than two years since I last blogged! Not that nothing interesting happened. In fact, plenty happened! Shifted house, shifted office, boys grew, had Hand Foot Mouth Disease (ouch!)! Just to name a few. There were gains and losses. Life's ups and downs. Of me, and those around me. I haven't been doing much deep thinking and thus less writing. Not enough time? That is probably an excuse. But it is true that I have not slept well for quite awhile. It is hard to explain the stress from work, where nothing goes smooth, and every step forward is a hurdle. Technology also had made it simple and addictive for us to mindlessly share. Share our thoughts in bits and pieces. Forming persona of ourselves to acquaintances and friends I hardly meet anymore. I remember experimenting with Tumbler, finding ways to post once, publish everywhere. It didn't quite work out. Even when technology made it is so easy, I have not been diligently editing and uploading photos of my darlin

The Last 24 Hours, Twenty-Thirteen.

If you were wondering... Yes I did it for the fifth time on the eve of New Year. Just two of us, made the journey from Marina Bay Financial Centre to Kampung Glam, via the newest Downtown line. You can see my photos here . Still looking for people to join us end of this year. :)