Skip to main content

Oh To Be Gracious at the Food Court.

Have you ever experienced difficulties finding seats at food court? Well I have, especially at the "Dining Codes" in Plaza Singapura. Today was the first time we managed to find a pair of seats. Besides the fact that there are really lotsa people, I think the other reason for the difficulty is that some people just occupy too much space. I'm not referring to individual size. I'm referring to a person occupying more one seat - their precious bags or prized shopping need a seat as well!

And people wonder why Singapore is full of campaigns... including one which encourages people to be gracious? Well here's your answer!

After we painstakingly found a couple of seats, I had plenty of time at the table to look around while my wife went to buy her food. I saw this couple sitting side by side, while their bags each occupy a chair opposite them. Oh so lovey dovey! Their minds devoid of any other beings in this world, including an uncle with a bowl of buloh hitam in hand, looking for a seat.

When I came back with my food, there were some shopping bags on the chairs beside mine, their owners no where to be seen. I chuckled and told my wife that Singaporeans are so innocent and trust the general public not to take their things. Then I asked her a question, "Do you think they are going to sit opposite on the empty seats or remove their bags?" Without hesitation she gave me the answer!

Sure enough, the couple came back with their nice tasty Korean food and sat on the empty seats - two people occupying four seats. Well, that was nothing new lah, they were just behaving like the lovey dovey couple mah. Then, came this child who revealed more about this 'innocent' couple.

This child crawled near the chair with shopping bags to retrieve his toy as his dad looked on. Immediately, the man stool up and walked towards the chair. The apologetic dad offered thanks for the man's concern and said that it was okay and his child can handle. Strangely, the man mumbled about camera in his bag.

When the man sat down, he told his female companion in a very arrogant tone, "My camera is in the bag, if he dropped my bag and break the camera, he is going to get it!"

My jaws dropped, not that I was still hungry... I just couldn't believe that the dad had mistaken this man's arrogance as concern for his child. That was no where near 'innocent'. My judgment was completely wrong. :-p

My motive of sharing this small incident isn't because I enjoy pointing fingers or criticising others. But more importantly, I hope that readers of my entry will occupy only one seat per person next time when they visit the food court. Never mind that the rest are keeping seats for their precious belongings, this is the right thing to do. Someday, others may follow suit as it becomes a social norm. At least for now, you will not feel guilty for being inconsiderate.

And please don't leave your belongings unattended. Some of us may have heard of people using their laptops to reserve seats at hawker centre. This is much costly than using tissue paper to do so, but of course that is a norm in the Singapore financial district only. If you can't trust others to be nice and considerate, how can you trust them with your belongings?

Finally, I think it is more gracious to show concern for fellow human being than concern for your own non-animated things. Keep your things near you especially if they are fragile. After all, we should be responsible for our own things. It is useless to complain or whine when things are broken or lost, due to own negligence.

Besides being ungracious, are there more people who are becoming economists' typical consumers, who are less caring of others and put self interest as utmost importance? Well, I am not sure whether the campaigns are working, but I will just start with myself and hope that you can join me to be gracious too. :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bridal Dowry.

The delivery of dowry ( 送嫁妆 ) is another important custom. It represents parent's effort for her daughter to have a good life after marriage and prepare her with the necessities for being a good wife. I am amazed by some of the things included in the dowry. Of course, in our modern living, we will not be using some of those things... Nevertheless, I think it is all good to have them, as each item carries a good meaning for our blissful marriage. :-)

I Will Be Back With More Time.

It is more than two years since I last blogged! Not that nothing interesting happened. In fact, plenty happened! Shifted house, shifted office, boys grew, had Hand Foot Mouth Disease (ouch!)! Just to name a few. There were gains and losses. Life's ups and downs. Of me, and those around me. I haven't been doing much deep thinking and thus less writing. Not enough time? That is probably an excuse. But it is true that I have not slept well for quite awhile. It is hard to explain the stress from work, where nothing goes smooth, and every step forward is a hurdle. Technology also had made it simple and addictive for us to mindlessly share. Share our thoughts in bits and pieces. Forming persona of ourselves to acquaintances and friends I hardly meet anymore. I remember experimenting with Tumbler, finding ways to post once, publish everywhere. It didn't quite work out. Even when technology made it is so easy, I have not been diligently editing and uploading photos of my darlin

The Last 24 Hours, Twenty-Thirteen.

If you were wondering... Yes I did it for the fifth time on the eve of New Year. Just two of us, made the journey from Marina Bay Financial Centre to Kampung Glam, via the newest Downtown line. You can see my photos here . Still looking for people to join us end of this year. :)