Skip to main content

No Taxi Stand No Stop.

"Side solution to taxi woes". LTA finally realised the problems of its rule that forbid taxi to pick up or drop passengers in CBD other than at taxi stands. On the first thought, this rule seems to be logical to stop errant taxi drivers who stop whenever they like to pick up passengers, possibly causing accidents. And taxi stands make it safer to do so, as well as 'easier to pick up a cab' if there are sufficient taxis. But, all that is only on first thought and the logic stops there.

LTA oughta think harder when making policies. Think twice or even thrice! Think carefully. Consider all stakeholders. Don't they learn SSM? =p

On second thought, mind you just tthe second thought, you will realise this rule is really illogical for alighting passengers. Let me give you an example, I took a cab to Maxwell Road Hawker Centre two weeks ago. Upon reaching the area, the driver said he couldn't stop at the hawker centre for me as there wasn't any taxi stand there. So I reached my destination but LTA forbade me from getting off! Isn't that similar to taking bus or train, you have to stop at certain designated place and walk?

Well i wouldn't say LTA is ingenious in coming out with a quick way to counter the problem they created. The common cab driver had already thought of that for he dropped me off at the side road of the hawker centre, saying there was lower risk of getting caught.

Well what motivated to write this post isn't just the fact that LTA had failed to consider thoroughly before implementing this rule, or that I had personally experienced the inconvenience. What motivated me to write is reading that despite their mistake, LTA refused to admit so and attempted to take some kind of credit for their quick dirty solution. Maybe I should specifically say its what the CE Mr Yam Ah Mee said which motivated me. He had "acknowledged that the two-week-old rule had inconvenienced some passengers," and said "We decided to further minimise the inconvenience while ensuring that safety on the whole is not compromised." Remember who created the rule that caused the problem? So should they give you a big fat bonus for minimising the problem you created? Perhaps some of you are saying I am reading too much into what he said. But the fact is such messages are usually carefully coded to give a politically correct answer free of all responsibilities and possibly getting a little credit for your crappy work. You have to read between the lines!

While we start finger pointing, we know that we should not blame LTA as a whole but blame the person who came up with this rule. I was discussing with my friend that the person who came up with the rule isn't really smart. He remarked that much had to be said about the one who approved it! Ha ha...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bridal Dowry.

The delivery of dowry ( 送嫁妆 ) is another important custom. It represents parent's effort for her daughter to have a good life after marriage and prepare her with the necessities for being a good wife. I am amazed by some of the things included in the dowry. Of course, in our modern living, we will not be using some of those things... Nevertheless, I think it is all good to have them, as each item carries a good meaning for our blissful marriage. :-)

I Will Be Back With More Time.

It is more than two years since I last blogged! Not that nothing interesting happened. In fact, plenty happened! Shifted house, shifted office, boys grew, had Hand Foot Mouth Disease (ouch!)! Just to name a few. There were gains and losses. Life's ups and downs. Of me, and those around me. I haven't been doing much deep thinking and thus less writing. Not enough time? That is probably an excuse. But it is true that I have not slept well for quite awhile. It is hard to explain the stress from work, where nothing goes smooth, and every step forward is a hurdle. Technology also had made it simple and addictive for us to mindlessly share. Share our thoughts in bits and pieces. Forming persona of ourselves to acquaintances and friends I hardly meet anymore. I remember experimenting with Tumbler, finding ways to post once, publish everywhere. It didn't quite work out. Even when technology made it is so easy, I have not been diligently editing and uploading photos of my darlin

The Last 24 Hours, Twenty-Thirteen.

If you were wondering... Yes I did it for the fifth time on the eve of New Year. Just two of us, made the journey from Marina Bay Financial Centre to Kampung Glam, via the newest Downtown line. You can see my photos here . Still looking for people to join us end of this year. :)