Skip to main content

The-Trip-Of-My-Life.

It had been a tiring two weeks. That explains the lack of postings. In fact, I was forgetting things - at one point I forgot my mobile number. Not to mention I even dreamed about my work several nights - right till last night! Other than moments of emotional ups and downs (which I always had, as I was easily emotionally influenced by others and felt grump), there wasn't much room or time for thinking or blogging. It was a long time since I worked so hard. It wasn't easy. Thus I truly admire my hardworking friends like XTT-KC, Stitchy-SOP, PingPing, etc., who had week-in, week-out do OT, meet unbelievable deadlines. Luckily I did have time for a shopping-cum-complaining-session which I really enjoyed. The one big regret was missing the Sun Developers Day - missed the opportunity to take photo with Duke. =p

In the past two weeks, I had mostly been brainstorming of new ideas (outta thin air), arranging and meeting users whom I had never known (otherwise they were friendly people), dreaming of new features and product (ie. going thru' NPD processes), prototyping mock-ups (looks good enough to eat only but you can't eat it yet), powerpoint-ing those "dreams" into "animated" envisaged user interfaces (ie. making sexy slides), scrambling to put things together (means I had to OT several days a week), complaining to my "victims" (thank you guys and girls), explaining to people how it works and what was done ("presentations"), weighing technical feasibility versus incorporating the changes in requirements ("the boss is always right"), and furiously coding (my favourite part), while begging around for help and coping with the dynamic changes everyday (yes changes everyday).

Not so long ago, my job was just to develop what I was told, aka implement according to requirements. My salary and job title had remained, that of a low-level engineer. But these things I did in the past two weeks... certainly were a big change for me. I am
not really complaining (well abit, they could have promoted me or given me more raise when they expect me to deliver the impossible), as I am perfectly capable of doing all these. =op In fact, I enjoyed it! I think given opportunities, most people should be able to manage it (after all, can't be we are only good enough to do coding right?) But I always felt unbalance. Perhaps it was an ego thing, or stress (can't avoid that), or maybe I hated to be squeezed just because I am going for the-trip-of-my-life which I had planned ages ago. And I am not very comfortable with the motives behind each decision. It was always more than what you see on the surface. And nobody to tell you the little implications and their real intentions. I am not cut out for politics.

I also redid my task list several times, as the scope kept expanding. The change in scope was a daily affair. And when the scope expanded to a ridiculously impossible state, unless I forgo the trip-of-my-life, something miraculously happened. I got the help I needed! From a 1+1 team, it had grown to a 1+4 team! I am grateful for their help and somebody's decision to let them help me. I would like to think that, we are actually from the same project right from the beginning, and some political decision made up there had us separated. Finally we are one again! It is time to get our hands dirty to deliver.

So that's it, I am almost done with that part of my life for now, cuz I am ready for the-trip-of-my-life soon! One more fabulous Monday of work to go! A wise lady had adviced me to forget about everything here, and enjoy the true blue holiday. She was really excited about it. I think it reminded her of her trip to the same destinations last year. I will heel her advice. But as what I told her, I will definitely miss some people here. Aiyar, three weeks nia! I am sure my absence will hardly be felt. I'll remember the usual chocolates for everyone when I get back. -wink wink- The norm of gifts that people bring back these days when they go overseas.

Here's a peek at my luggage, yeah, it is all packed. =)

Wish me good luck! I'm the man on a mission!

Comments

▐≤¡Γ≡ said…
The trip was what you mention sometime ago right?

Have fun! (the 2 of you) :P

Popular posts from this blog

The Bridal Dowry.

The delivery of dowry ( 送嫁妆 ) is another important custom. It represents parent's effort for her daughter to have a good life after marriage and prepare her with the necessities for being a good wife. I am amazed by some of the things included in the dowry. Of course, in our modern living, we will not be using some of those things... Nevertheless, I think it is all good to have them, as each item carries a good meaning for our blissful marriage. :-)

I Will Be Back With More Time.

It is more than two years since I last blogged! Not that nothing interesting happened. In fact, plenty happened! Shifted house, shifted office, boys grew, had Hand Foot Mouth Disease (ouch!)! Just to name a few. There were gains and losses. Life's ups and downs. Of me, and those around me. I haven't been doing much deep thinking and thus less writing. Not enough time? That is probably an excuse. But it is true that I have not slept well for quite awhile. It is hard to explain the stress from work, where nothing goes smooth, and every step forward is a hurdle. Technology also had made it simple and addictive for us to mindlessly share. Share our thoughts in bits and pieces. Forming persona of ourselves to acquaintances and friends I hardly meet anymore. I remember experimenting with Tumbler, finding ways to post once, publish everywhere. It didn't quite work out. Even when technology made it is so easy, I have not been diligently editing and uploading photos of my darlin

The Last 24 Hours, Twenty-Thirteen.

If you were wondering... Yes I did it for the fifth time on the eve of New Year. Just two of us, made the journey from Marina Bay Financial Centre to Kampung Glam, via the newest Downtown line. You can see my photos here . Still looking for people to join us end of this year. :)