Skip to main content

Patchwork of Flavours.

I woke up at 7.30am this morning, early for weekend, but for a good reason. Today was the launch of the cookbook "Patchwork of Flavours" and I had volunteered to help out at the sale.

"Patchwork of Flavours" is a recipe book. The project was initiated by volunteers from Regular Service Project (RSP) Elders, NTU Welfare Services Club (WSC), two years ago. It showcases traditional home made recipes of elderly living in the homes, heartland, and clans. There are 38 easy-to-follow recipes with nice colourful photos of the dishes (tho' abit ruin by the sponsors' products in the background). Volunteers tried cooking the dishes themselves! The proceeds from the book sales will be donated to four charitable organizations, "AWWA Community Home for Senior Citizens" (where we volunteered back then!), "Kheng Chiu Loke Tin Kee Home", "Geylang East Home for the Aged", "Retired and Senior Volunteer Programme Singapore - RSVP".

The front cover,


The synopsis at the back,


A look inside the book!


And one of the recipes!


So why did I volunteer at this event? I was a volunteer with RSP Elders for four years back in uni-days. Tho' seldom go down to home these days, still can help out in such ad-hoc events. Especially since this special project started out as a RSP Elders initiative, the alumni should help out! And it was a good chance to meet up with fellow alumni volunteers too. So many of my juniors joining my company soon! I will probably talk more about volunteering at Elders and other WSC activities next time... Afterall, it was one of the three things which my life revolved around during uni-days.

Started out kinda rusty. It had been quite a while since I approached strangers for charity act. I was quite nervous at first. After the first auntie bought the book, it all came back! In fact it was much easier than expected. Perhaps its for charity, or the goodies bags that come with the purchase. Perhaps aunties at Toa Payoh HDB Hub are mostly friendly and stop by to ask, so we just had to explain. =) Or perhaps I am good with aunties lah. Wahahaha. Some unlikely customers were just waiting for us to explain to them. And in many cases, I approached them and they bought the cookbook! It was fun selling the book, cuz in the process I got to talk to these elderly, much like when I went down to the Home. Tho' some may not buy, it was fun just talking to them. They tell me their stories, about their kids disliking their cooking, not staying with them, blahblah. It was fun getting their attention, and giving them my attention! I guess that is why I like to volunteer with the elderly bah.

Anyway I think the sales went well bah. The initial enthusiasm slowly disappeared after lunch. I was more of a spectator watching the performances on the stage, than a volunteer selling the book. LOL. I think must be old le lah. Btw, one tip for guys organising such kinda event that require volunteer to approach strangers, make sure you rotate your volunteers for rest once every 2-3 hours. Re-charged volunteers can contribute more! Good thinking to shift the cash register out facing the crowd, easier to make transactions! All in all, well done guys!!! Woohoo!

So anyone interested to get a copy? If you cook, it'll be of great help to learn more dishes! If you don't, good chance to learn. If you refuse to cook, you can ask your girlfriend or wife to cook! If they refuse to cook too, it'll make good present for your mum or mother-in-law. Wahahaha. And all in the name of charity. So many reasons to buy right? The Chinese version will be available in August. Do drop me a mail or sms if you are interested.

And also anyone interested to volunteer? I suddenly feel like volunteering again. Especially when I don't have to work so hard, giving tuitions, during the weekends. Regardless, I think it is important to find some good companies to volunteer together. Just like old times. So also let me know if you are interested bah. We can participate in some ad-hoc events like this or activities for other beneficiaries.

Comments

Sunshine said…
did i tell u that i won the 2nd prize in the lucky draw?! with one of the 5 tickets given to me (includ u and YD)...so i have no idea whose tix it was...but i guess we could all go for a meal together!

100 bucks meal voucher!OOOHHHHH!
egeus said…
So lucky ar. Buy 4D also not so zun hor. Okay okay we go eat together when we come back. Get more ppl to go too. heh heh.

Popular posts from this blog

The Bridal Dowry.

The delivery of dowry ( 送嫁妆 ) is another important custom. It represents parent's effort for her daughter to have a good life after marriage and prepare her with the necessities for being a good wife. I am amazed by some of the things included in the dowry. Of course, in our modern living, we will not be using some of those things... Nevertheless, I think it is all good to have them, as each item carries a good meaning for our blissful marriage. :-)

I Will Be Back With More Time.

It is more than two years since I last blogged! Not that nothing interesting happened. In fact, plenty happened! Shifted house, shifted office, boys grew, had Hand Foot Mouth Disease (ouch!)! Just to name a few. There were gains and losses. Life's ups and downs. Of me, and those around me. I haven't been doing much deep thinking and thus less writing. Not enough time? That is probably an excuse. But it is true that I have not slept well for quite awhile. It is hard to explain the stress from work, where nothing goes smooth, and every step forward is a hurdle. Technology also had made it simple and addictive for us to mindlessly share. Share our thoughts in bits and pieces. Forming persona of ourselves to acquaintances and friends I hardly meet anymore. I remember experimenting with Tumbler, finding ways to post once, publish everywhere. It didn't quite work out. Even when technology made it is so easy, I have not been diligently editing and uploading photos of my darlin

The Last 24 Hours, Twenty-Thirteen.

If you were wondering... Yes I did it for the fifth time on the eve of New Year. Just two of us, made the journey from Marina Bay Financial Centre to Kampung Glam, via the newest Downtown line. You can see my photos here . Still looking for people to join us end of this year. :)