Skip to main content

PortableApps for Your Thumb Thumb.

My girlfriend will be going to Sweden for training soon and she wanted to copy her animes and drama over to watch. There's just one problem, she's not the administrator of her machine, so she has no rights to install any software or codecs. I guess that's a common practice of MNCs where only the IT department holds the administrator password. I decided to look for a video player software which does not need to be installed and can be run off a USB drive. Something like what Firefox and Miranda can do.

Anyway I found this nice app that do just that and more. PortableApps is like a manager for the portable applications on your USB drive. It is free. There are three versions:
Standard Edition - Comes with most open-source applications such as ClamWin, Firefox, Openoffice, etc. and runs on 512MB drive.
Lite Edition - Comes with less applications, runs on 256MB drive.
Base Edition - Stripped down package with just the menu, backup utility and custom folders, icons and autorun. Only take up 1MB. Need to download the other applications individually to include on your USB drive.

I installed the Base Edition cuz my old USB drive is only 126MB. =p I also downloaded the VLC Media Player and installed it using the options in the PortableApps Menu. The menu is similar to the Start Menu of Windows. It lists out all the applications on documents on the USB drive.


The whole process took about five minutes, probably longer if you choose to install the Standard Edition. It actually uses 7-Zip to extract the files into the USB drive. I plugged my USB drive on my desktop and was able to play my videos using VLC. It minimizes nicely into a lil' icon on the status bar when not in use. I think you can give it a try cuz it is free and it supports a large number of applications. But if your machine has the usb ports for portable devices disabled, then...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bridal Dowry.

The delivery of dowry ( 送嫁妆 ) is another important custom. It represents parent's effort for her daughter to have a good life after marriage and prepare her with the necessities for being a good wife. I am amazed by some of the things included in the dowry. Of course, in our modern living, we will not be using some of those things... Nevertheless, I think it is all good to have them, as each item carries a good meaning for our blissful marriage. :-)

I Will Be Back With More Time.

It is more than two years since I last blogged! Not that nothing interesting happened. In fact, plenty happened! Shifted house, shifted office, boys grew, had Hand Foot Mouth Disease (ouch!)! Just to name a few. There were gains and losses. Life's ups and downs. Of me, and those around me. I haven't been doing much deep thinking and thus less writing. Not enough time? That is probably an excuse. But it is true that I have not slept well for quite awhile. It is hard to explain the stress from work, where nothing goes smooth, and every step forward is a hurdle. Technology also had made it simple and addictive for us to mindlessly share. Share our thoughts in bits and pieces. Forming persona of ourselves to acquaintances and friends I hardly meet anymore. I remember experimenting with Tumbler, finding ways to post once, publish everywhere. It didn't quite work out. Even when technology made it is so easy, I have not been diligently editing and uploading photos of my darlin

The Last 24 Hours, Twenty-Thirteen.

If you were wondering... Yes I did it for the fifth time on the eve of New Year. Just two of us, made the journey from Marina Bay Financial Centre to Kampung Glam, via the newest Downtown line. You can see my photos here . Still looking for people to join us end of this year. :)