Skip to main content

Good Neighbours.

Are good neighbours hard to come by? I am not too sure, cuz for the past few years, we hardly felt the existence of our neighbour, ie. the guys who moved into the unit opposite our flat two years ago. Why? Cuz they pretty much treat their flat as a chalet. And by that I mean the only time that I saw them was the one time I came back to see their house all brightened up. Why? Cuz they rented out their house as a set for some film production. And the other times I saw them were mostly weekends when they invited their friends over for mahjong. Probably overnight mahjong and made lotsa noise, cuz somebody complained to the police and they probably thought it was us. They decided to protest by putting a shoe rack over our potted plants*** (please note that these potted plants in front of our door were there since we moved in, yes, for more than sixteen years). Btw, it was a ugly looking shoe rack which they don't use at all. So I guess it was either to "mark their territory" or for revenge? Oh btw again, they had bought over the tiny stretch corridor in front of their corner flat, and built a "cage" over it. So I guess they decided it was only right for them to "extend" their "door" to where our potted plants were. If HDB let us buy over the space in front of our flat, probably they can either stay in their flat forever or we can set up a booth to collect toll. Haha!

Anyway, these "part-time" neighbours finally decided to move out. By now you should have guessed, they bought the flat probably for some sorta investment. Unfortunately, the price of flats depreciated in the past few years, and they had not choice but to sell the flat to minimize their loss.

I was looking forward for some friendly neighbours. But the future for a amiable relationship looks grim now. A few weeks ago, our new neighbours requested us to shift the altar outside our door as they feared that the renovation workers may knock it accidentally. Being the understanding neighbour and grateful for their consideration, we were obliged to shift it in, from the original position of more than sixteen years (yes, it had also been in the same position since we moved in). Yesterday, they requested my Dad to move our potted plants*** as they were "bad for their fengshui". My Dad said he'll consider moving them. Amazingly, our plants automagically "moved by themselves" to another neighbour's door front today. It is no mystery how our plants "gained those special powers".

One lil' selfish move may annoy two families. Why do such neighbour exist?

Rich families at landed properties and condos "fight" over parking lots (such as the recent case of a new resident at some condo parking at a "personal-parking-lot" of seven(?) years, and the famous Joo Chiat law suits), but here at the heartlanders, people wanna "fight" over our "public-corridor-of-more-than-sixteen-years" ar? he he. Luckily my Dad was calm and decided to move the plants into our balcony. He said, "No point getting all upset. I am not afraid of them, but I don't see a need to pick up a fight." Hopefully, after all that bad feelings are gone, they'll knock on our door often, with delicious curry chicken or kueh kuehs lah, now and then. I have always dreamt of having such good neighbours! =p

Comments

▐≤¡Γ≡ said…
I think your's still manageable. haha...

In a fren's block, I saw 2 families who were living opp one another in e same storey. 1 of the families placed their shoes on top of newspapers obituaries(faced towards their neighbours somemore) to mark their territory(the little space infront of their flat).

haiz... good neighbours are hard to come by sia.

Popular posts from this blog

The Bridal Dowry.

The delivery of dowry ( 送嫁妆 ) is another important custom. It represents parent's effort for her daughter to have a good life after marriage and prepare her with the necessities for being a good wife. I am amazed by some of the things included in the dowry. Of course, in our modern living, we will not be using some of those things... Nevertheless, I think it is all good to have them, as each item carries a good meaning for our blissful marriage. :-)

I Will Be Back With More Time.

It is more than two years since I last blogged! Not that nothing interesting happened. In fact, plenty happened! Shifted house, shifted office, boys grew, had Hand Foot Mouth Disease (ouch!)! Just to name a few. There were gains and losses. Life's ups and downs. Of me, and those around me. I haven't been doing much deep thinking and thus less writing. Not enough time? That is probably an excuse. But it is true that I have not slept well for quite awhile. It is hard to explain the stress from work, where nothing goes smooth, and every step forward is a hurdle. Technology also had made it simple and addictive for us to mindlessly share. Share our thoughts in bits and pieces. Forming persona of ourselves to acquaintances and friends I hardly meet anymore. I remember experimenting with Tumbler, finding ways to post once, publish everywhere. It didn't quite work out. Even when technology made it is so easy, I have not been diligently editing and uploading photos of my darlin

The Last 24 Hours, Twenty-Thirteen.

If you were wondering... Yes I did it for the fifth time on the eve of New Year. Just two of us, made the journey from Marina Bay Financial Centre to Kampung Glam, via the newest Downtown line. You can see my photos here . Still looking for people to join us end of this year. :)