Skip to main content

Resolutions 2011.

As the year draws to an end next week, it is a good time to do the customary stocktake of the significant events in the past year, and set my aspirations for the next.

1. Record number of sick days. - The sicky bugs were sticky this year. It is either coincidental or a self-fulfilling prophecy, that the geomancer had predicted a sicky year for people with my zodiac sign. I expended all, and had to utilize the extended medical leaves. At thirty, I had my first case of chicken pox infection, and food poisoning.

For the coming year: I would like to stay healthy! Hope that the "first" cases were also the "last".

2. Obtaining the VCP. - After attending the official course conducted by VMWare, I decided not to let it go to waste and took the certification exam. With that, I am on track with my personal development. So far, obtaining masters and SCJP were purely for self satisfaction - not really recognised in my current job. Hopefully, they will be put to good use soon.

For the coming year: I would like to continuously improve myself technically, obtain professional certifications and get recognised.

3. Arrival of Bertrand. - For most part of the year, my wife and I adjusted our lifestyle and adapted to her pregnancy. Paying more attention to our food, taking care of her every steps, going for check-ups at the gynae, attending pre-natal courses, buying baby products, reading about pregnacy and education of children, are all part of the buildup to the arrival of our baby dearest. But nothing can fully prepare us for the big moment. With the blink of the eyes, we had moved on to adapting life with a baby in the family on the last couple of months. He is such a dearie and joy to the family! I must have talked so much of it previously and shall not go on and on. This is the happiest event for us this year!

For the coming year: I would like to focus more energy in nurturing him into a healthy and intelligent boy!

4. Watched my first live grand slam. - I really ought to blog down the experiences from my trips before the memories are lost. Calculating the poosible match-ups based on the seeds, I realised I bought the wrong semi-final match tickets minutes after the online transaction. The excitement overwhelmed the regret on matchday. The Murray-vs-Cilic match wasn't that bad afterall. And we watched RF won the tournament on live telecast in Melbourne itself! I also added an Aussie Open jumbo ball to my collection - my other two jumbos were special gifts from my dear friend.

In the coming year: I would like to watch a live grand slam match where RF plays. It will be most wonderful if I can complete my jumbo ball collection as well. I better start saving more!

5. Being assigned to manage my first major project. - I had managed small projects or involved in lead roles in the past, but this year I was officially assigned to takeover as the P of a major project. While prior hardwork may play a part in landing this job, I guess it is mainly due to help from a friend and opportunity from superiors. It had been a journey which can be described as "being throw into the inferno, without any firefighting equipment". But isn't that the one of the best way to learn? With more than a year to go till the project completes, I am not sure if I have picked up the ropes or am like a frog in a pot of boiling water... Nevertheless, thanks to my team, my first milestone in this project was successfully closed.

For the coming year: Besides becoming a better manager, I would also like to be a better leader. To give the right advice and guidance, to move everyone in the correct direction, and to earn the respect. I would like to pay more attention to the details and do a better job.

So what about the last year's resolutions? Which to roll forward? Let's review:

1. To be a good family man. - Add one more role to the list. I will need to be a good son, hubby, and father. Resolution to roll forward.

2. To stick to 'Budget 2010'. - Well... sorta... It's not easy. It'll be good if I can continue to stay on track in 2011. Resolution to roll forward.

3. To stay healthy. - Same as Resolution #1 for 2011. Hopefully when my wife gets back to work, bento will be back on the menu as well. :p

4. To earn the respect from everyone around me. - Same as Resolution #5 for 2011. I couldn't have done enough in this aspect.

5. To achieve a positive breakthrough at work. - If you consider Resolution #5 for 2011, that some sorta "breakthrough" this year. May the next year the solid foundation be laid.

6. To create more happy memories for my special friend. - Everyone's busy this year - with work and family. I am glad we get to catch up more towards the end of 2010. Hopefully next year we can make it for the grand slam together? ;-p And then... shopping at the outlets!!!

That's it! My resolutions for 2011. Minus the similar ones, there are eight goals in sight. It is not like I will review them religiously daily, weekly or even monthly, to get all items in the list checked -I never review my resolutions even once before the year ends! But I think it is good that I have thought through and find the right direction to focus my time and energy.

Hope you have accomplished great things this year and will be setting meaningful goals for the coming year. A Merry Christmas and advanced Happy New Year to one and all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bridal Dowry.

The delivery of dowry ( 送嫁妆 ) is another important custom. It represents parent's effort for her daughter to have a good life after marriage and prepare her with the necessities for being a good wife. I am amazed by some of the things included in the dowry. Of course, in our modern living, we will not be using some of those things... Nevertheless, I think it is all good to have them, as each item carries a good meaning for our blissful marriage. :-)

I Will Be Back With More Time.

It is more than two years since I last blogged! Not that nothing interesting happened. In fact, plenty happened! Shifted house, shifted office, boys grew, had Hand Foot Mouth Disease (ouch!)! Just to name a few. There were gains and losses. Life's ups and downs. Of me, and those around me. I haven't been doing much deep thinking and thus less writing. Not enough time? That is probably an excuse. But it is true that I have not slept well for quite awhile. It is hard to explain the stress from work, where nothing goes smooth, and every step forward is a hurdle. Technology also had made it simple and addictive for us to mindlessly share. Share our thoughts in bits and pieces. Forming persona of ourselves to acquaintances and friends I hardly meet anymore. I remember experimenting with Tumbler, finding ways to post once, publish everywhere. It didn't quite work out. Even when technology made it is so easy, I have not been diligently editing and uploading photos of my darlin

The Last 24 Hours, Twenty-Thirteen.

If you were wondering... Yes I did it for the fifth time on the eve of New Year. Just two of us, made the journey from Marina Bay Financial Centre to Kampung Glam, via the newest Downtown line. You can see my photos here . Still looking for people to join us end of this year. :)