Skip to main content

One Spouse Not Enough?

When I read the letters on Today about polygamy, I wanted to laugh. It came across to me as some guy ready to get himself shot by suggesting that polygamy is feasible, and may even resolve some family conflicts. But still I gave it some thoughts and even had a discussion with my girlfriend.

On the first look at the matter, polygamy is highly impossible in Singapore. Firstly, this is a lawful land, and the law prohibits that. I don't think a few letters will ruffle the feathers of the lawmakers in changing or even rethinking about this law. Tho' eight white elephants may be more useful (at least the minister is reacting to them). Secondly, even if the law says its okay, it is something which the society will frown upon. Not socially accepted. But wait, there may be some sort of hope, afterall our citizens are lawfully obedient and if the law says its okay, we will probably think it is ok too. Thirdly, there is the idea of "男女平等" (Women have equal rights as men), that will make polygamy highly infeasible. The first two reasons are quite clear. Well, the third needs some explanation and I hope I don't get shoot for doing so.

The notion of "women having equal rights as men" probably became popular with the Women's Rights Movement started in 1948. More than 40 years later, the status of women has changed drastically (at least for the developed nations). I'm sure almost everyone in Singapore will feel that it is only right that women deserves equal rights as men (with exception of certain MCP who discriminates women at work, etc.). Do women in Singapore still need to push for such notion, and use this phrase frequently? Perhaps it is to always use this phrase to their advantage to get things they want, or maybe they are feeling inferior to begin with for feeling they are not treated equally (Oh no, I better stop straying away before I get shoot for questioning too much)? Following the principle of "equal rights for men and women", women should be allowed multiple husbands if men are allowed to have multiple wives. Assuming it is also a socially acceptable practice, by doing so, things will be a whole lot more complicated. Imagine a family of multiple husbands and wives. Or another further, the husbands and wives of these men and women with another set of husbands and wives. Who will play what role? How do you define a "family"?

In fact, it will only be possible if one gender is dominant. Either only men or women will be allowed to have multiple spouses.

In the modern day when most people are self-sufficient, being able to support all your spouses may no longer be one of the criteria for polygamy. One is capable of love for more than one. But one will never be able to say for sure he/she can give his love equally among them. I think what is important is he/she can love them all to his/her best extend. Not even a parent can love his/her children equally. If that person is really nice and the spouses can see eye to eye, why can't a few share him/her?

If we can set aside the legal and social acceptance issues, we just need to decide who will have the rights to take more than one. Maybe our men in white can help their obedient citizens decide and pass the legislation. BUT, I must admit, I will find it very difficult to accept being one of the many spouses of my wife (there you go, please take account of my lil' opinion Sir).

P.S. By no means I'm or this entry implies that I'm, unfaithful. Please refrain from commenting so.

Comments

▐≤¡Γ≡ said…
haha... spam that is advertising how to stop spam. Well done! :P

Hmmm...Disable anonymous commenting?
egeus said…
Wanted to delete it away, but since you commented on it, I'll just leave the irony there.

Popular posts from this blog

The Bridal Dowry.

The delivery of dowry ( 送嫁妆 ) is another important custom. It represents parent's effort for her daughter to have a good life after marriage and prepare her with the necessities for being a good wife. I am amazed by some of the things included in the dowry. Of course, in our modern living, we will not be using some of those things... Nevertheless, I think it is all good to have them, as each item carries a good meaning for our blissful marriage. :-)

I Will Be Back With More Time.

It is more than two years since I last blogged! Not that nothing interesting happened. In fact, plenty happened! Shifted house, shifted office, boys grew, had Hand Foot Mouth Disease (ouch!)! Just to name a few. There were gains and losses. Life's ups and downs. Of me, and those around me. I haven't been doing much deep thinking and thus less writing. Not enough time? That is probably an excuse. But it is true that I have not slept well for quite awhile. It is hard to explain the stress from work, where nothing goes smooth, and every step forward is a hurdle. Technology also had made it simple and addictive for us to mindlessly share. Share our thoughts in bits and pieces. Forming persona of ourselves to acquaintances and friends I hardly meet anymore. I remember experimenting with Tumbler, finding ways to post once, publish everywhere. It didn't quite work out. Even when technology made it is so easy, I have not been diligently editing and uploading photos of my darlin

The Last 24 Hours, Twenty-Thirteen.

If you were wondering... Yes I did it for the fifth time on the eve of New Year. Just two of us, made the journey from Marina Bay Financial Centre to Kampung Glam, via the newest Downtown line. You can see my photos here . Still looking for people to join us end of this year. :)