Skip to main content

Good things in life

I was greeted with sound of running water last Sunday when I got back to hall. And I wondered who was bathing. 30mins later, that somebody was still bathing. An hour later, I decided to check it out. Nobody was bathing. Nah, its not some horror story, well, horror to some extend... the water heater was leaking. No hot water for one week. Well, perhaps even longer, cuz they said there's no stock for a new heater yet. Bathing cold water is kinda refreshing, brings back memory of bathing in icy cold water in Australia, where I have to pour pails of water and host up the shower bag so as to enjoy the luxury of bathing under the shower (maybe pictures of them next time). Anyway, weekend is here = warm water for bathing. You gotta appreciate even lil' things like this, nothing should be taken for granted. Especially family and friends. Gotta think twice before saying anything that might hurt someone you care.

After a week of sleeping an average of 4 hours everyday, finally finished my fyp report. Unfortunately, thats not the end of the story yet. On the topic of fyp, those who wenta coe week probably got the "usb handphone charger with multiple adapter" door gift too right? But I am quite puzzled as to why Motorola phones don't have one single adapter size that fits all. There isn't the size for my phone. So anyone interested in having the charger, you can exchange for it with a small favour. -rukia's laughter-

Subconciously, I stopped visiting the ST website since the day they announced that they are going to charge for viewing their site. How much money is there to be made to be considered enough? You may argue that the motive of the company is to make profit. But I still think they should have the welfare of general public in mind. I, for one, will not want to read it. Perhaps I'll seek for an alternative source for news rather than the nation builder. What I'll miss will be the tay yek keak column. He's just so cynical, so funny.

By the way, after some convincing from my room mate, I tried the new web browser. And now I am one of the latest users of mozilla firefox. Let me do a short review. Its true that you have to experience it to understand how much better it is compared to IE. I am not saying IE is bad, but firefox is better. Here's why: There are a bunch of people out there working on it, the plugins, the skins, the extensions ->> more customization and improvement in the functionalities all the time. Tabbing is much cooler and more convenient than switching windows. And if you have a few sites you would want to visit everytime, you can put them in a bookmark folder and open all the sites in different tabs with one click. The foxytune extension is really good too. Its an integrated control panel for your favourite player. Its slim and fits nicely at the bottom in the status bar. The adblock extension lets you block out that irritating advertisement of your favourite website, that means you can choose to remove any graphic on the page from loading everytime you visit the page - except when the picture is generated dynamically. But if its in a frame, you can even block out that frame. My favourite extension is the stumbleupon toolbar. It brings you to a random website within you scope of interest. This mean that you will be sent to sites you'll never visit in your life - alot of channel surfing, with a few million channels available. Interestingly, at least 6 outta 10 sites I visited are top quality. That is because they have a rating button which fellow users can recommend on those sites. More importantly, its about freedom of choice. Freedom to customize your browser to fit your needs. Its about making your choice of browser you like to use instead of using whatever m1cr0$0ft dishes out to you. Alas, not in the case when I visited the school website, only compatible with IE. So far, it has not crashed yet - unlike the wonderful surfing experience from the m$-browser. Neither has it slowed down my system nor use up plenty of system resource. Finally, the most important fact, its free. (=

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bridal Dowry.

The delivery of dowry ( 送嫁妆 ) is another important custom. It represents parent's effort for her daughter to have a good life after marriage and prepare her with the necessities for being a good wife. I am amazed by some of the things included in the dowry. Of course, in our modern living, we will not be using some of those things... Nevertheless, I think it is all good to have them, as each item carries a good meaning for our blissful marriage. :-)

I Will Be Back With More Time.

It is more than two years since I last blogged! Not that nothing interesting happened. In fact, plenty happened! Shifted house, shifted office, boys grew, had Hand Foot Mouth Disease (ouch!)! Just to name a few. There were gains and losses. Life's ups and downs. Of me, and those around me. I haven't been doing much deep thinking and thus less writing. Not enough time? That is probably an excuse. But it is true that I have not slept well for quite awhile. It is hard to explain the stress from work, where nothing goes smooth, and every step forward is a hurdle. Technology also had made it simple and addictive for us to mindlessly share. Share our thoughts in bits and pieces. Forming persona of ourselves to acquaintances and friends I hardly meet anymore. I remember experimenting with Tumbler, finding ways to post once, publish everywhere. It didn't quite work out. Even when technology made it is so easy, I have not been diligently editing and uploading photos of my darlin

The Last 24 Hours, Twenty-Thirteen.

If you were wondering... Yes I did it for the fifth time on the eve of New Year. Just two of us, made the journey from Marina Bay Financial Centre to Kampung Glam, via the newest Downtown line. You can see my photos here . Still looking for people to join us end of this year. :)