Skip to main content

Drop Community Service Requirement.

Read a letter to the ST Forum today on dropping the community service requirement for primary and secondary students. When I recall my experiences of community service when I was young, I kinda agree with the author. Why should community service be a requirement in the first place when the emphasis is to cultivate the spirit volunteering for the welfare of the community we live in? The fact that it is compulsory seem to have the opposite effect.

When I was a boy scout in primary school (believe it or not =p), we had this activity called the "Job Week". Apparently, they are still doing that now, as I heard from one of my tuition kid last weekend. It was sort of a volunteering work for the community and donating the earnings to the needy. But to me, as a 9-year old boy, it was more of a duty to be completed. The jobs were done for the sake of having to do them. It was more like asking for sympathy to give us something to do. I still remember I was told to wash a white car. It turned out really pink after washing - the car wax. And we used an eraser to rub it off. lol. Really silly to think back of it now, really worried back then - more job for the owner. Fortunately, we were still rewarded 50 cents for that. However, it was not all that bad. I remember a visit to the Sree Narayana Home for the Sick and Aged. It was my first time in contact with the old folks home. The home was situated in some deserted spot of Singapore. A pre-war building housed some sick old folks who really enjoyed our company then. It was with the guidance of the teachers, that we managed to really let the old folks feel our presence and made us feel what we did was useful. A meaningful experience for me.

Forward time seven to eight years ahead, community service was compulsory in jc. Much to the dismay of my tutorial mates, and me. =p We went to this old folks home at serangoon road designated by the school, on our own, for community service. it was on saturdays. our work that was basically to mop the floor, wipe the physio equipments, cut the grass...etc. Yea, job that they had to try hard to find for us to do. I must admit, someone had to do those things, but I don't think its something that cultivated any sense of community spirit to volunteer in us. We had to go there like 8 times, to get our community service points. And I went for just 6. Didn't really bother about the points. Cuz it was more dreadful to go there every saturday. With noone to guide us or anything, we were like temp. workers, go in few hours, get things done, leave. I am sure many of you out there been thru things like that. In fact its not just students. My dad for a couple of times a year, have to do community service too, together with his colleagues. And he always laughed and tell me that they went to the old folks home just to paint the doors or rooms. And its compulsory too! Woah, something thats implemented in all government sectors???

Put these not so great experiences behind. I had the opportunity to understand what volunteering and community service is about in university. It is definitely not something compulsory for the sake of CCA points or part of the government policy. But something which benefited someone else and myself. As simple as that. When there's a first time, there's a second time. When you tried one activity, you want to try more. I guess the most important fact is that I enjoyed it. Something I did not experience much previously.

I am sure its nice to start young, when kids have that kind of energy and time for community services. But there should be proper guidance and an element of enjoyment for them as well. Using points is just really a typical SG gov. way of motivating people, very lil' effort put in. It may sound really cliche, but education is the way to cultivate that. Especially when kids are still innocent, and impressionable. They can have a taste of volunteering in different areas and find out what they really enjoy. For the youths, give them the opportunity, not force them into it.
I'm sure, it'll make a difference in their lives, when they grow up, if they know they can make a difference in others' lives too.

What do you say? Share your experiences and Comments?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bridal Dowry.

The delivery of dowry ( 送嫁妆 ) is another important custom. It represents parent's effort for her daughter to have a good life after marriage and prepare her with the necessities for being a good wife. I am amazed by some of the things included in the dowry. Of course, in our modern living, we will not be using some of those things... Nevertheless, I think it is all good to have them, as each item carries a good meaning for our blissful marriage. :-)

I Will Be Back With More Time.

It is more than two years since I last blogged! Not that nothing interesting happened. In fact, plenty happened! Shifted house, shifted office, boys grew, had Hand Foot Mouth Disease (ouch!)! Just to name a few. There were gains and losses. Life's ups and downs. Of me, and those around me. I haven't been doing much deep thinking and thus less writing. Not enough time? That is probably an excuse. But it is true that I have not slept well for quite awhile. It is hard to explain the stress from work, where nothing goes smooth, and every step forward is a hurdle. Technology also had made it simple and addictive for us to mindlessly share. Share our thoughts in bits and pieces. Forming persona of ourselves to acquaintances and friends I hardly meet anymore. I remember experimenting with Tumbler, finding ways to post once, publish everywhere. It didn't quite work out. Even when technology made it is so easy, I have not been diligently editing and uploading photos of my darlin

The Last 24 Hours, Twenty-Thirteen.

If you were wondering... Yes I did it for the fifth time on the eve of New Year. Just two of us, made the journey from Marina Bay Financial Centre to Kampung Glam, via the newest Downtown line. You can see my photos here . Still looking for people to join us end of this year. :)