Skip to main content

Resolutions 2014.

In "Resolutions 2013", I mentioned I posted thrice in 2012. Well, in 2013, I posted once - progress! Can shut down this blog lah... hahaha...

Nevertheless, I think I should review the year and set my resolutions, although it is already half a month into January. Why? Well, lists are very useful for remembering things, especially for old people like me. Although there were few posts, twenty-thirteen was not short of ups and downs. Not in any particular order or preference...

The downs: car accident, one pathetic blog entry and...


The ups: became a father again (arrival of my darling Nathaniel - gift of God), visited Göteborg, Stockholm and Paris again, spent lotsa fantastic time with my family, pushed for Scrum, clocked one more in-camp training and got to know some fun people along the way!

That's a short list... You see, I can't really remember what happened and a check on my Facebook time-line revealed mostly happy occasions and photos of my sons. It is better that way. Why hang on to unhappy memories? One of my changes over the years is getting less emo and more nonchalant (not bochup k'), apart from the occasional out-burst of unhappiness which my lunch kakis may observe.

Perhaps two words can describe my 2013: "Family" and "Work". I think I did work my a** off for in these two areas in 2013 (never mind that I went home on time on most days and seem to be just talking and nagging at people). It gave me great satisfaction. Besides working for myself future, I hope I had improved the lives of people around me too - it would be lucky if my team don't think that I made their lives worse! :p

Towards the end of 2013, I started buying photography books from book depository. It is a wonderful experience to look at printed photographs and share with my wife. In 2014, I will read more.

So what are the rest of my resolutions for 2014?

Besides the usual "exercise more" (we really really really have to restart our lunchtime gym routine ok?), spend more time with my friends (yes you and you and you whom I barely meet like once a year now), my wife said I should include getting Bertrand to learn swimming (perhaps that's his resolutions bah... haha).

One of the two reasons why I decided to set resolutions for 2014 is this article by Clayton Christensen, which Stephen shared with me last week.

In the book, "How Will You Measure Your Life?", Christensen (who is well-known for his work in innovation and not his view of life), shared his thoughts on guidelines for life and ways to pursue happiness. This HBR article, from his speech to a HBS graduating class, eventually became the book. I have a deep impression of his takes on humility:
By the time you make it to a top graduate school, almost all your learning has come from people who are smarter and more experienced than you: parents, teachers, bosses. But once you’ve finished at Harvard Business School or any other top academic institution, the vast majority of people you’ll interact with on a day-to-day basis may not be smarter than you. And if your attitude is that only smarter people have something to teach you, your learning opportunities will be very limited. But if you have a humble eagerness to learn something from everybody, your learning opportunities will be unlimited. Generally, you can be humble only if you feel really good about yourself—and you want to help those around you feel really good about themselves, too. When we see people acting in an abusive, arrogant, or demeaning manner toward others, their behavior almost always is a symptom of their lack of self-esteem. They need to put someone else down to feel good about themselves.
In 2014, I will listen to people without prejudice.

The second reason is this article my wife shared with me today. In 2014, while we occupy ourselves daily with challenges of bringing up the children, I will cultivate the good habits of a healthy relationship. 

Finally, it is satisfying to blog again. Hope I can do better than just one or two posts in 2014! Have a great year ahead!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bridal Dowry.

The delivery of dowry ( 送嫁妆 ) is another important custom. It represents parent's effort for her daughter to have a good life after marriage and prepare her with the necessities for being a good wife. I am amazed by some of the things included in the dowry. Of course, in our modern living, we will not be using some of those things... Nevertheless, I think it is all good to have them, as each item carries a good meaning for our blissful marriage. :-)

I Will Be Back With More Time.

It is more than two years since I last blogged! Not that nothing interesting happened. In fact, plenty happened! Shifted house, shifted office, boys grew, had Hand Foot Mouth Disease (ouch!)! Just to name a few. There were gains and losses. Life's ups and downs. Of me, and those around me. I haven't been doing much deep thinking and thus less writing. Not enough time? That is probably an excuse. But it is true that I have not slept well for quite awhile. It is hard to explain the stress from work, where nothing goes smooth, and every step forward is a hurdle. Technology also had made it simple and addictive for us to mindlessly share. Share our thoughts in bits and pieces. Forming persona of ourselves to acquaintances and friends I hardly meet anymore. I remember experimenting with Tumbler, finding ways to post once, publish everywhere. It didn't quite work out. Even when technology made it is so easy, I have not been diligently editing and uploading photos of my darlin

The Last 24 Hours, Twenty-Thirteen.

If you were wondering... Yes I did it for the fifth time on the eve of New Year. Just two of us, made the journey from Marina Bay Financial Centre to Kampung Glam, via the newest Downtown line. You can see my photos here . Still looking for people to join us end of this year. :)