Skip to main content

Sun Tech Days 2005/2006 Part Two.

I am back in one piece! Resisted the urge of taking the cab, I tricked my mind into thinking that I was not dizzy. With that second wind, I got home and saved 6 buckeroos.

Day Two.

More hands-on. Attended one on Studio Creator and one on Netbeans Profiler. Silly me did not bring my power adapter cuz I wanted to travel light. So I did not get much outta the first as I was worrying about my power most of the time and did not get to complete the lab. For the latter session I got help from the Friends of the Fujitsu fanclub (a student and a kind gentleman from IHPC) ha ha.

The profiler is a very useful tool to analyse all those memory leaks and lousy code practices. As Joey Shen put it, "There are rumours that Java is slow, but it is slow only when your codes are not good." Yeah, something I can take back and tell my boss, "Hey we can use this! And its free!"... "So maybe more conferences for me next time?" heh heh. Seriously I recommend this tool. Its sorta a plugin in NetBeans, but you can attach you code to it to run the profiling. Hmmm, I am seriously considering moving to NetBeans for future developments. According to (Lee) Chuk (Munn) The Man, Sun gonna make NetBeans the standard platform in the future. IDEs like Studio Creator and other tools, will be added to it in the form of plugins. But Eclipse is like so user-friendly and freeeeee. Oh well. Anyway, those who attended the sessions on Java Threading yesterday, and Java Security today will also feel that Chuk IS The Man. There is so much he can teach us, but we have so little time, and there is just so little I can absorb in such a short time.

Oh if you are interested in who are these fantastic speakers I have been talking about these two days, you can check them out here. heh heh. Btw, you can download the tutorials/lab slides with audio on Servlets and JavaServer Pages by my favourite speaker, Doris Chen here!

Good News! I won for the first time ever in a lucky draw. A USB Hub compliments from ILOG. heh heh.

A summary of other freebies today: Sun T-Shirt, Java Mug, Sun Namecard holder, Sun Tech Days Luggage Tag, Solaris 10 OS Update 1 DVD.

One interesting lesson I take home from the conference: Always remember to fill up the survey forms, they are your tickets to the freebies at the end of each day.

Best thing about the Sun Tech Days: I met my friend who I lost contact for a long time, today. Great to see you again Candice! (Get a msn acct leh)

NetBeans Day tommorow, not going. =( Waking up at 6.20a.m.again.

There is this very interesting documentary on Arts Central right now, "42 Up". 14 subjects, 11 remains. Documenting the lives of the subjects at 7, 14, 21, 28, 35, and latest, 42. "Give me a the child until he is 7, and I will show you the man." Is a person's fate sealed at birth? Food for thought!

Comments

Anonymous said…
bloody hell, long time no see from you, come to your blog, and i see you got freebies and geek stuff, what?!!! you want my fist?!!! better come out and eat dinner with jaffa and me next time. and yes i want to go kino to buy underage hentai, need your membership card.
egeus said…
Yeah, although I'm trying to be one, I don't think I am quite there yet. So I am now in limbo, neither cool nor geeky.

signed off,
geek-wannabe

Popular posts from this blog

The Bridal Dowry.

The delivery of dowry ( 送嫁妆 ) is another important custom. It represents parent's effort for her daughter to have a good life after marriage and prepare her with the necessities for being a good wife. I am amazed by some of the things included in the dowry. Of course, in our modern living, we will not be using some of those things... Nevertheless, I think it is all good to have them, as each item carries a good meaning for our blissful marriage. :-)

I Will Be Back With More Time.

It is more than two years since I last blogged! Not that nothing interesting happened. In fact, plenty happened! Shifted house, shifted office, boys grew, had Hand Foot Mouth Disease (ouch!)! Just to name a few. There were gains and losses. Life's ups and downs. Of me, and those around me. I haven't been doing much deep thinking and thus less writing. Not enough time? That is probably an excuse. But it is true that I have not slept well for quite awhile. It is hard to explain the stress from work, where nothing goes smooth, and every step forward is a hurdle. Technology also had made it simple and addictive for us to mindlessly share. Share our thoughts in bits and pieces. Forming persona of ourselves to acquaintances and friends I hardly meet anymore. I remember experimenting with Tumbler, finding ways to post once, publish everywhere. It didn't quite work out. Even when technology made it is so easy, I have not been diligently editing and uploading photos of my darlin

The Last 24 Hours, Twenty-Thirteen.

If you were wondering... Yes I did it for the fifth time on the eve of New Year. Just two of us, made the journey from Marina Bay Financial Centre to Kampung Glam, via the newest Downtown line. You can see my photos here . Still looking for people to join us end of this year. :)